Shoot Plan for 'Parallel' Music Video

In this post, I will outline my plans for each stage of shooting for my music video, detailing both the equipment that I will need in order to shoot, where the equipment will be used in each process and potential hazards that may present throughout this process and how I will be minimising the risk to myself and my actors. I will also explain my choices in location, costume and props within each stage within relation to my narrative and continuity within the production.

Shoot One:

The location for the first shoot is my own bedroom, this is due to ease of access and also as I feel that this room offers many different interesting aspects such as coloured LED lighting and psychedelic style art which relates the the theme of the music itself and the essence of UK Rave Culture whilst remaining the homely, haven-like space which many viewers would relate to in a bedroom. This in itself could cause issues as the room is quite small which means that there is limited space for me to work with the camera around my composition, however I feel that this challenge is achievable with the use of a tripod and experimenting with camera angles and positioning by taking several test shots from different areas of the room.

For this shoot the equipment I feel that I will require to achieve the best possible results are: a tri-pod to ensure stability throughout filming, film lights so that I can achieve the correct lighting rather than my film appearing flat or dark, filters or diffractors for the lights in case they are too harsh and flatten the scene on camera, and a standard camera lens.

I want Mia (my point composition) to appear to look almost dishevelled when she enters the scene, so I will ask her to pull her hair into a messy bun and to wear the loungewear depicted in the image below (tracksuit bottoms, a normal t-shirt and a pair of trainers). I have chosen to do this so that when Mia gets ready to go out, there is a more profound difference in the way she appeared on camera before she got ready compared to afterwards. She will be wearing little makeup, and I will carefully apply a thin drip of watered down black water-based face paint to mimic the appearance of mascara run after someone has been crying. I will also apply blush to the nose and cheeks to highlight this affect. She will then change into a sparkly dress and a pair of heels with hair hair curled and her make-up done. I will apply her make-up off camera to ensure a professional quality, however I will provide her with the red lipstick in order to apply this in the mirror on camera for effect. The dress I have given her to wear for the remainder of the video is also displayed in the images below.

In terms of hazard prevention, this location isn't one which inherently presents direct risk to myself while I am filming or to Mia whilst she is participating, however there are a couple of minor factors I will have to take into account before and throughout filming. The floor is laminate, meaning that we will be have to be careful of spilling liquids or treadding water from the ground outside into the room as laminate can become very slippery when wet, drying spills straight away and providing a mat to wipe shoes on before entering the room can help to minimise this risk. Another potential risk is wires in the room, as these could become caught on the equipment or even on the person throughout the filming process, making sure wires are neat and go around the edge of the room will ensure that the risk of me or my actor catching myself or any equipment in wires which could damage equipment, lighting or cause injury is significantly lessened. The final risk posed was that my composition was going to pour from a bottle of alcohol, however I decided to omit the risk of working with alcohol completely and instead I will have the composition drink blackcurrant squash from a wine glass as this has the dark appearance of red wine, but means that Mia will not be intoxicated in any of the shots.


Shoot Two:

The location for my second shoot will be on the streets on the way to and around the grounds of the Jubilee Sports Centre, I will shoot just before sunset to allow congestion to go down before I set out to film so that there is less public interference making the process in itself much easier as I won't have to ask members of the public to sign release forms or spend time blurring out individual faces in order to fit legal guidelines for online usage. This is important to adhere to because if I were to upload footage of a member of the public without their permission, they would be within their rights to ask the site where I uploaded the video to remove it, which is a situation I would like to avoid.

The equipment I will need to shoot in the streets will be: A tripod to ensure that I get the same camera positioning and angle in each location, as in this part of the shoot Mia will be dancing in time to the music in seemingly the same place in each frame, just in changing locations. |I will also need a standard camera lens and possibly a camera-top light just to ensure that my composition is well lit throughout as natural light is highly variable.

The costume for the remainder of the video does not change, so other than remaining consistent and ensuring to follow the photographs of the makeup on the first day, no adjustment is required to the costume.

Filming in the street presents many hazards to both myself and to Mia, as there are many factors to take into account and I have to be very aware of my surroundings at the same time that I am filming. If I decide to use parts of the road to film, to make it seem as if the areas are almost eerily quiet, I will have to make sure that I am aware of any oncoming traffic and that I move myself, my equipment and my actor out of the vehicle's way as quickly and safely as possible. To minimise the risk of an accident whilst filming on a road I could use either a one way street or a cul-de-sac so that the traffic is contained and only flowing in one direction, filming outside of rush hours also minimises the risk of an accident. I will also be wearing a high visibility vest and will have my mobile phone on my person at all times whilst I am in the street to make sure that any on coming traffic can see me in time to react and to ensure that I can contact help in case of an emergency.

Shoot Three:

I will shoot at the Jubilee Sports centre facility grounds and around the centre, as I feel that this area gives an almost urban, industrial feel which is not dissimilar to other drum and bass music videos. I have chosen to do this as I feel, again, that this ties into UK Rave Culture and the underground scene, bringing the streets into music for the masses and is using semiotic meaning to relate the genre of Drum and Bass back to the masses rather than following the same performance based video that many videos follow. I feel that this also pays homage to early, revolutionary edm tracks which shaped the industry into what it is today and their respective music videos such as 'Insomnia' by Faithless, 'Trance and Acid' by Kai Tracid, and 'Missing' by Everything But The Girl (Todd Terry Remix).

I will use the same equipment to shoot for shoot three as I used in my second shoot as they are similar in nature.

The costume in this shoot also remains the same in order to maintain continuity between locations and shots.

Again, in terms of hazard, this location presents quite a few risks to myself and to my actor and equipment. Shooting near and in the skatepark will be areas of the recreational grounds that I will have to be particularly vigilant in because of the fact that it is a public amenity and people will be using it at the time that I am shooting. At the moment the car park is not open to the public, this means that the risk of being injured by a car whilst shooting here is significantly lower, however the risk of being injured by a vehicle increases again on the recreational field due to there being a bmx track and dirt bikes being ridden in the area, which I will have to be alert and watch out for, and ensure that I do not shoot in or around the areas that they are using to prevent injury to myself or Mia or damage to my equipment.

Shoot Four:

I don't have a fixed location for my final shoot, rather than deciding on one fixed location, I have decided to take inspiration from 'Missing' and 'Insomnia', experimenting with light trail stop-motion footage of cars from a bridge that runs over the A444, footage from the M6 and footage from a train from Nuneaton to London Euston, and also micellaneous footage of my conposition, Mia, sitting in alleyways and around flat buildings. This footage I will experiment with later, so I intend to use a variety of methods including stop motion, shifting the focus, and different angles and tracking directions.

I will maintain the same equipment as I have used in my other shoots as it is easy to transport and reliable.

Again, the costume remains the same in this scene to maintain continuity throughout the video.

The potential risks involved with filming in the street that I have detailed within my other shoot plans carry over to this shoot as I am still using urban settings, however there is an added risk that I could drop the camera whilst shooting on the bridge over the dual carriage way. Ensuring that I wear the camera strap around my neck will prevent the camera from falling into the road if this should happen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lacan's Theory

Different Types of Lighting

New Wave Film and evaluation